As every year, we would like to invite you to take part in the Geography Awareness Week (GAW) that is going to take place between the 13th and 19th of November!
This week is about raising geographical awareness, and we invite you to prepare some interesting activities (online and offline). Have a look at the National Geographic Webpage to learn more and get inspired. Feel free to organise events on any topic connected with geography and participate in this year’s competition!
Who can participate?
Your local group can organise anything you are interested in and you can also include other local associations, NGOs, sponsors, partners, your university…
We also are not going to be alone: EGEA (European Geography Association for students and young geographers), AFNEG (an association which gathers local student associations of Geography across France) and GeoDACH (an association of German-speaking geography students) are working together really closely to make this GAW amazing!
What can you organise? There are so many possibilities, for example:
- city game
- presentation for students
- share some interesting geographical facts about your entities/cities on Social Media
- GIS workshops (Wednesday, 15th is the GIS day!!)
and many more, you can be creative!
This year we will also have a competition and there will be prizes for events in several categories, such as
- best cooperation with external partners (not with the University!),
- most scientific event
- most original event (be creative!)
- best interdisciplinary idea
Also, there will be a special prize for the best overall concept of the whole GAW. You can take these categories into account when you think about organising your event for the GAW.
How to take part in the contest?
- Fill out the following survey by November 20th: https://t1p.de/eugaw2023
- Post a picture/video of the event on your social media. Use the hashtag #EUGAW2023 AND tag @afneg.geo, @egea_europe and @geo.dach. (If you choose to post in Stories, make sure to turn them into a highlight so that we can see them for longer!)
After the GAW, a jury with representatives from AFNEG, EGEA and GeoDACH will judge all registered events and announce the winners.
If you have any questions related to this, please contact us via your organisations’ email. Also, don’t forget to follow @afneg.geo, @egea_europe and @geo.dach on Instagram for more updates on the GAW and to show some love!
The boards of EGEA, AFNEG and GeoDACH