Date: 10/06/2016 – 12/06/2016
Location: Austria – Vienna
Are you interested in social/urban geography and history? Would you like to explore parts of Vienna below the sweet touristic surface and see some real stuff? Are you ready to have some serious fun? Yes? Then join us for our “Vienna without Sissi” event at the beginning of June.
We are trying to show different aspects of living in Vienna as part of the working class or a marginalized group (homelessness, prostitution,..). We will especially discuss social housing and social democracy, the after-war period and gentrification in Vienna. There will be theoretical work in lectures and workshops and some exploring-tours through the city.
What is very special about this event is that it is organized in cooperation with ISHA (International Students of History Association), which allows us to gain an insight into the historic dimension of these topics. There will be 10 places for wonderful EGEAns and 10 places for equally wonderful members of ISHA, so the two organizations will get to know each other.
EGEA and ISHA Vienna are going to host you.
Costs: 40€ (food, accommodation & program)
Also, Vienna in spring time is lovely and people from EGEA and ISHA Vienna are supernice and superhandsome. Convinced?
– welcome words
– starting lecture (topic: social housing)
– guided tour in the social housing complex “Karl-Marx-Hof”
– “Beisltour” (Beisl = small, not very fancy, cheap bar)
– workshop organized by ISHA
– continuation of the morning program: practical field work of the theoretical topics discussed in the workshops
– barbecue at Donauinsel (danube island)
– city tour by homeless people
– presentation of the saturday afternoon programm
– goodbye words
– departure (you can also stay until monday if you want to)